- Tony Award nominations for Best Costumes, Best Musical, and Best Choreography for both runs of Tango Argentino.
- Member of the fourth generation of the Academia Nacional del Tango
- Trained many professionals, actors, and dancers including Rita Moreno, Sharon Stone, Linda Cristal, Anthony Quinn, and Robert Duvall.
- One of the judge for the competition at the NY Tango Festival where he also performed with wife Madalyn.
- Choreographed and performed Folklore and Tango in the most unique multicultural collaboration Dance Folklorissimo, featuring traditional dance and music from Argentina, Georgia, and Spain.
A native of Argentina, Nelson Avila began dancing and performing Argentine Folklore dances at the young age of nine. By eighteen, he began his professional career in Buenos Aires, dazzling audiences with his Argentine Tango in theater, television, and cinema. With Nelida Rodriguez, they created, produced, choreographed, and starred in their own Tango shows, Tango Argentino, the show that changed the place of Tango in the world forever. From its smash success in Paris in 1983 and for the next ten years, Tango Argentino received rave reviews all over Europe, Japan, and multiple US cities. Tango Argentino become the first Latin Show presented on Broadway in 1986, and again from 1999-2000. Now living in New York with his wife and current Tango Dance partner Madalyn, Nelson teaches Argentine Tango classes at Ventura Dance Center.
No more posts to load.
Load More Posts